...is on the air!

My blog is of anything that pops into this brain of mine as well as what pops into other bloggers brains! If I read something I find interesting, I'll add it to mine and give credit, where credit is due!

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Nick Mason (of Pink Floyd)

Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason fronted the group who made the one-off self-titled album Nick Mason's Fictitious Sports in May 1981 in the UK and US, this being Mason's first major work outside of Pink Floyd. However, the album is considered by many a Carla Bley album in all but name, since she wrote all the songs and co-produced it. It is sung by Robert Wyatt, except for the opening song. The album was recorded in November 1979 but its release was delayed for almost two years.


"I made 'Fictitious Sports' more as an exercise. There's more longevity in 'Profiles'... it's strong enough to be accepted as a 'proper' record."
—Nick Mason

"Originally, I had arranged to go to America and make an album using all sorts of material, but then Carla sent me a cassette with some of her ideas. It was very different from what she had done before and absolutely in line with what I like. So I thought it would be much better to do that than to struggle desperately to find things that work together."
—Nick Mason


Siam - Nick Mason's Fictitious Sports

Nick Mason – drums, percussion, co-producer, recording engineer
Carla Bley – keyboards, songwriter, co-producer
Chris Spedding – guitars
Steve Swallow – bass guitar
Michael Mantler – trumpet, recording engineer
Robert Wyatt – vocals
Karen Kraft – vocals on "Can't Get My Motor to Start"
Gary Windo – tenor/bass clarinet, flute, additional vocals
Gary Valente – trombones, additional vocals
Howard Johnson – tuba
Terry Adams – piano on "Boo to You Too", harmonica and clavinet on "Can't Get My Motor to Start"
Carlos Ward – additional vocals
D. Sharpe – additional vocals
Vincent Chancey – additional vocals
Earl McIntyre – additional vocals
James Guthrie – mixing engineer
Hipgnosis – cover design

No comments:

Post a Comment